Rowan University – Science Hall
Client: Rowan University
Project: New Science Hall
Epic’s Role: General Contractor
Construction Costs: $35.1 million
Three-story, 150,000 square-foot facility housing the Biological Sciences and Chemistry and Physics departments, each on its own floor. The building includes a fully equipped laser laboratory as well as state-of-the-art laboratories for the study of material, biochemistry, mycology, botany, environmental biology and other disciplines. There is a greenhouse located on the roof for use by undergraduate and graduate students in environmental studies programs. A planetarium and rooftop observation deck are focal points of the facility. A 16-inch telescope housed in a rooftop dome feeds live celestial images to the planetarium’s screen as well as to an internet site.
About the Building:
Smart classrooms and 49 teaching and research labs.
Four general purpose classrooms and two seminar rooms for faculty and guest lectures.
Computer labs, high-tech instrument rooms and prep rooms dedicated to each discipline.
About the Observatory and Planetarium:
- Planetarium seating for 102 and a venue for small shows and lectures
- Research-grade equipment for planetarium programs and education
- DFM 0.4-meter (16-inch) classical Cassegrain telescope along a suite of three CCD cameras and a spectrograph
- A 7.5-foot radio telescope and 12 smaller telescopes ideal for student research and community outreach programs
- Live feed of celestial images to the Edelman Planetarium’s screen and internet site